Barton County Library cannot be held responsible for and does not have control of monitoring the information accessed through the Internet. The Internet contains a wide variety of material and opinions; not all sources provide information that is accurate, complete or current. Some sites may be considered offensive. The library recognizes the right and responsibility of parents to monitor, restrict, and/or determine their own children’s access to the Internet, as with all other Library resources.
1. Patrons wishing to use the library computers must sign onto individual computers with their
2. Patron access time is limited to one hour per day. Additional time may be available at the discretion of the librarian if no other patrons are waiting to use the computer. Unused time may be used later the same day, provided the patron signs off the computer properly. Library staff is not responsible for time lost through not signing off the computer properly.
3. Computers may be reserved for one hour per day. Late patrons will lose their reservation.
4. Patrons may not use personal software programs on library computers. Patrons may not download programs on the
5. Patrons using audio applications must provide and use their own headphones.
6. Personal floppy diskettes, CD’s, or flash drives may not be used in any computer without being scanned for viruses by the staff before each use. New floppies or flash drives may be available for purchase at the circulation desk.
7. Print copies must be paid for in advance at the circulation desk. Refunds will not be made for patron printing errors. B/W prints are $.15 per page. Color prints are $.30 per page.
8. Staff members have the right to interrupt or cancel the use of a computer. Abuse of the rules, equipment, or software may result in the loss of computer privileges or library privileges in general. Customers using library computers for illegal activity or who destroy or attempt to destroy hardware or software may be suspended from using the library and shall be liable for civil and/or criminal legal action. Be advised that receiving or displaying text or graphics in public that may be reasonably construed as obscene is in violation of current law (Missouri Revised Statues Section 573.010 and Section 573.060) and may result in suspension of library privileges as well as civil and/or criminal legal action.
9. Library staff can sometimes help with basic computer use but cannot provide in-depth training in the use of the computer or the Internet.
10. Customers agree to INDEMNIFY
I have read and understand the Barton County Library Computer Use Policy and agree to comply with the said policy. I acknowledge and agree to accept financial responsibility for any damages incurred by me or any dependents listed below. If signing for minor children, I understand that I am responsible for my child’s use of the Internet through the library’s connection.